Chris' Genty

Chris' Genty

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

From El Paso to Pine Springs, TX

Todays drive brought me through El Paso to TX-180 (& TX-62) to the Guadalupe Mountains.. A few miles outside of El Paso there was only desert and little traffic for over 100 miles through the El Paso valley in the most western part of Texas.



The plan was to go to Carlsbad and visit the Carlsbad Taverns. However I discovered Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I have never heard of this park, so off to the Visitors Center, where I found out that they have a small campground with 8 sites for larger RVs. OK, I said, why not. There were only three really large RV sites (40' long), all the others are much smaller and some are occupied by smaller class C and class B RVs. There was just one long site vacant, and I took it and registered for three nights. (Only $4/night with NP Seniors Pass). This NP has no roads, just hiking trails. Maybe I will go hiking a little.


I just got a HIGH WIND WARNING on the computer (EASTERLY WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 65 MPH. IMPACTS: HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES TRAVELING THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS SHOULD USE CAUTION AND REMAIN ALERT FOR HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.) -  nice

There are a few photos here.

Location:
31.89654N 104.828W 5843 ft